Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Not so fast . . .

Sometimes I have to slow down on my path to understanding gravity. I may even have to take a few steps back and re-think some ideas.

For example, I was probably moving too fast when I opined on Feb. 6, 2009, that blacks holes may be the fastest objects in the universe. I reached that conclusion because it made sense as I applied my theory that gravity is an effect of matter in motion from the Big Bang.

After all, black holes have the greatest gravity in the known universe. Therefore, I reasoned, they must be moving very fast.

However, scientific observations have not corroborated my conclusion. I don't think we know how fast black holes are moving through space. So I started to see a crack in my theory as it applied to black holes.

On the other hand, astronomers have observed that black holes are spinning incredibly fast. Likewise, neutron stars --- which are almost as heavy as black holes --- are also spinning extremely fast. So I don't think I missed the point completely.

It seems that the cumulative motion of matter, including its expansion and rotation through spacetime, creates the effect of gravity. I previously scratched the surface of this subject when I applied my theory to planets, asteroids and other objects creating turbulence in spacetime.

Once I slowed down and applied this idea to black holes, I began to feel a little more comfortable with my theory. It also made sense because general relativity states that matter gains mass, or relativistic mass, as it accelerates.

In other words, matter gains more gravity as it accelerates. That explains the black hole a little better.

No comments: